Brought To You By

The Willesden Green Property Blog

Do you have a property license for your rental property?

Licensing Concept. Waymark on Blue Background. 3D Render.

As a good landlord you may welcome any measures that are introduced to prevent rogues from having negative impact on our industry.  Brent Council have been operating a selective licensing scheme in three wards, Harlesden, Wembley Central and Willesden, but have recentlyannounced that a further five electoral wards will now be included: Dudden Hill, Kensal Green, Kilburn, Mapesbury and Queen’s Park.

New wards

Coming into force on 1 June 2018, under the scheme every privately rental home will need to be licensed. From 1 May 2018 you will be able to apply for a license for Dudden Hill, Kensal Green, Kilburn, Mapesbury and Queen’s Park.  The scheme aims to raise standards in the sector and to create affordable and quality accommodation for its residents.

This is great news for thousands more Brent residents. Brent Council is driving up housing standards in the private rented sector and cracking down on rogue landlords. We are hoping that the government will agree to extend selective licensing across more wards in the near future,” said Councillor Harbi Farah, Cabinet Member for Housing and Welfare Reform at Brent Council.

The risks

The council’s enforcement team carry out around 12 raids every week, averaging between two to five prosecutions a month.  Since 2016, Brent Council has won 125 prosecution cases against landlords, subletters, and agents, resulting in fines totalling more than £730,000 and over £100,000 of civil penalties since the scheme was introduced in September 2017. 

The risk you face for not licensing your properties could mean an unlimited fine and a criminal record.  We don’t believe it’s a risk worth taking, so we encourage all landlords to ensure they comply with the scheme.  At Portland we are happy to answer any of your questions and also advise you on the best type of licence for each of the properties within your portfolio.


The different types of licenses required by Brent Council are:

Mandatory Licensing Scheme

This applies to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) of three or more storeys occupied by five or more people, making up two or more households. 

Additional Licensing Scheme

This applies to all privately rented properties occupied by three or more people making up two or more households, regardless of the number of storeys the property has.  

Selective Licensing Scheme

All privately rented properties in the Harlesden, Wembley Central and Willesden Green wards must have a property licence.  And, as we have stated, this will be extended to the following wards as of 1 June 2018: Dudden Hill, Kensal Green, Kilburn, Mapesbury and Queen’s Park.

For more advice on property licensing, or renting a property within the Brent borough, contact a member of our lettings team.